Saturday, January 15, 2011

Onboard and Underway


So a LOT has happened since the four-hour layover in Orlando. I landed in the Bahamas, paid an outrageous cab fare to a hostel in the heart of downtown Nassau called The Towne Hotel, and met a ton of amazing people who would be traveling with me on Semester at Sea. I am not exaggerating when I say, Semester at Sea not only took over The Town Hotel, but we took over the island. I think we brought down the median age by a few years with the number of college students roaming the streets.
        The hotel was sufficient. It had a bed, bathroom, tv…but two nights was a long enough stay. The water in our bathroom tended to stop running, refuse to warm and/or spit out brown water. Apparently from other people’s reviews, I lucked out with one of the nicest rooms in the place. I’m shocked. It might have something to do with the fact that I had stopped by the hotel with my family four days earlier while in nassau on a cruise port of call. I had met the owner and received a tour. They hooked me up.
        After meeting a ton of people in the lobby, we all made plans that evening to head over to Senor Frogs, which was about a five minute walk from our hotel. It was so strange how dead the streets were at like 8:30 at night. No one was out. All of the businesses shut down at 6pm sharp everyday. Senor Frogs was the place to be. Once again, Semester at Sea took over.
        The next day was spent at the beach with my two roommates from the Towne. Gorgeous beach. Water was freezing though. I tried and failed to catch up on sleep due to a Bahamian trying desperately to sell his coconut rum drinks by shouting, “No sleeping, no reading, only drinking!” over and over… and over again. Later that evening, the entire semester at sea population of the Bahamas made their way over for another eventful night at Senor Frogs, our last night in the Bahamas before boarding the MV Explorer the next morning.
        In the morning, I made a quick Dunkin Donuts run and helped stuff a taxi full of people and bags. Before I knew it, I was on board the ship. It was surreal. I felt so lost, just following the directions of the work-study students strategically standing at every turn and staircase. I made my way to my cabin, 3161. Deck 3 outside! Not bad for a girl who signed up for economy. When I got to my door, I saw four names on the door. Four roommates??? In a tiny cabin???? Uh oh. As soon as I entered, my fears faded away. The set up of the room is perfect. We actually have one the biggest rooms on the ship that’s divided into two and connected by a door, sort of like a suite. No bunking. No sharing a single closet. My roommates are awesome too and very diverse. One is from Singapore. One is from Minnesota but originally from Ethiopia and another is from Ohio. This feels like freshman year all over again, not knowing anyone, being completely lost on campus, so having three roommates instead of one is definitely a blessing.
        I have to tell you, the food on board is not something to brag about. It’s pretty much different forms of pasta dishes, salad, some type of fish or meat and fruit that probably should have been thrown out yesterday. It hasn’t mattered much for me though because the seasickness has completely wiped away my appetite. I didn’t really think I would be affected by the motion of the boat but this boat rocks. Realllly bad. I literally have to grip a railing everywhere I go otherwise, I stagger around the halls and stairs bumping into people. Just waiting for my sea legs to kick in. Any day now.
        I’ve already had two full days of classes. I’m not going to lie, it’spretty amazing looking out the window in class and seeing the open ocean. I’m taking Global Ecology, Physical Oceanography, Philosophy of Nonviolence and Global Studies. All of which are amazing.
        Tomorrow is our first port: Roseau, Dominica. I am soooo excited. We had a pre-port meeting that explained the culture, sights, and taught us a few common phrases to get around although most Dominicans speak English. I have a canyoning tour set up for tomorrow that involves repelling off waterfalls and cliff jumping. Should be a good time. Next update after Dominica.

No comments:

Post a Comment